Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Looking for Work.

Although I want to write a continuation of the last post, "Christ has come to teach the people himself", I find that I am not able to do so at this time. It would actually require a little thought on my part and right now I feel as though I have no thought to spare. I'm teaching a Western Civ. class and a women's history class right now as well as educating my own children in literature, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, math, science, history, health, religion studies, art, music, and geography. It will take me half a beat to settle into that schedule before I can blog properly again. (This entry, although boring and irrelevant to the general theme of this blog, is good evidence that I am making progress toward that end.) I also need to prepare for African American history to be taught in the second half of this semester and a Western Civ. II class for next semester. I also need to begin building a history of nursing and midwifery class to offer to my department chair as a potential special topics course for our nursing students.

I'm also revising my CV because I need to find work. Although next semester I hope my department chair will throw four classes rather than just two or three my way, I'll need more income to compensate for my husband's need to take a low-paying, part-time job in order to go back to school so he can find decent work again. (I could devote another entire blog to the loss of union jobs, benefits, and health insurance particularly among male workers. I'm finding it is much less fun to be a part of historical and economic transition than it is to write and teach about it.) In any case, I need to step it up on my end to compensate for his difficulties. This has been a rough year for us financially and we're slipping backwards. I'll need to either get more frequent flyer miles by doing adjunct work at more than one college or work toward getting a full time position at a college or university. I'm pessimistic about my chances right now. Although I'm confident as a teacher, I'm not good at selling myself to potential employers. I always imagine people in suits are annoyed by my very presence so I cannot imagine anyone hiring me. No matter. I have to do it anyway. I have to put myself out there because my children cannot live on books alone. I'm hoping that five years of teaching experience in both brick and mortar and online classrooms will help me out but there are an awful lot of people just like me out there looking for jobs.

If you know anyone who wants to hire someone with teaching interests in history, women's history and philosophy of religion, historiography and research methodology let me know. (Why in the world didn't I study anything practical? *sigh*)

So that's what's happening right now with me and why there are larger gaps between blog posts. Wish me luck.

10 comments:

Daniel Wilcox said...

Dear Hystery,

Since you have a lot of spare time;-)would you mind...

As for your 'doubt' thought:
>>I always imagine people in suits are annoyed by my very presence so I cannot imagine anyone hiring me.

To quote a famous comedy routine I saw: STOP IT!:-)

Best wishes to your husband's new venture. I'll hold your and his bold steps in the Light.

Peace,
Daniel

Hystery said...

Thanks, Daniel. I'll do my best to "stop it." :-)

Bright Crow said...

Dearie,

Holding all your family in the Light.

You write:

Why in the world didn't I study anything practical? *sigh*

Pro'ly 'cause you didn't wanna be bored.

:-)

*Sandra* said...

Daniel beat me to it... I too was wondering what you do to fill in the rest of your time.

As for interviews... you already have a job, which is a huge plus (for some reason, the suits are loath to give jobs to people who are out of work). So, you go in there with the attitude that, yes, this job would be nice, but I don't really *need* it. I'm worth more to you than you are to me, guys; you should consider yourselves fortunate that I have shown interest in you.

Go get 'em, Hystery.

Lone Star Ma said...

Yup - go get 'em.

Anonymous said...

"I always imagine people in suits are annoyed by my very presence so I cannot imagine anyone hiring me. "

When did you first start believing this, and why? I'm willing to bet it was a long time ago, and that you have matured and your circumstances changed enormously since then - so why do you still believe this?

Thing is, we're often trapped by beliefs that are, frankly, obsolete. I used to think that Everyone Else was a) more organised than me, b) more confident than me, c) somehow more grown up than me, and, therefore, d) somehow better than me. It took until early this year to realise that this was truly distorted thinking, and then it took a little while longer to sink in.

It isn't as simple as "just stop it!", but it is really effective to consider whether or not the anxiety has any objective basis.

I'm finding that thinking of myself as a grown-up amongst grown-ups is pretty weird at times - but it beats thinking that everyone else is somehow better than me at everything. Liberating stuff.

Hystery said...

One of the best side effects of blogging is that truly nice people will say truly nice things to me. I sure do appreciate it. Thanks, everyone.

parise said...

i've always annoyed people in suits and in turn, have often been annoyed by people in suits. that's probably why i picked the oh so practical field of fine arts. i do believe the point might be to not give a fig and just do what needs to be done, which it sounds like, is exactly what you are doing.

i wish you luck, oodles and oodles of luck and some joy thrown in for good measure!

George Amoss Jr. said...

It looks like you've had some free cognitive therapy as well as good advice, so I'll confine myself to expression of sympathetic feeling. The times are increasingly difficult; I've had some first-hand experience of that, but not to the extent that you and many others have. I wish I could do more than wish you well, but at least I can offer that.

Hystery said...

George,

As it turns out, financial difficulty seems to be fairly typical of in my generation (cue the music). I just read an article indicating that as many as a third of people my age and younger live with their parents. Adolescence is extremely long for Gen-Xers. Actually, this information makes me feel better. Misery loves company. I guess all of this should piss me off. But then we're supposed to be known for our apathy. Whatever. Who the hell cares?

But I'm actually not all that miserable. I am blessed with a very large, very supportive extended family. My folks always told me to follow my bliss (those crazy hippies). I followed my bliss right off a cliff and into an ocean of student loan debt. The good news is that debt is a loyal companion who keeps me well-acquainted with the testimony of simplicity. ;-) I may never own my own house, go on a fancy vacation, or wear new clothes but I got me some fancy book learning. If you want to know anything about American antebellum religious gynocentrism, I'm your woman. As it turns out, no one wants to hear about antebellum religious gynocentrism. In fact, people either get hostile or comatose when I talk about it.

And so I remain underemployed. My husband, on the other hand, can find work. He doesn't get paid well, comes home filthy, bruised, exhausted, and he has to work with f@ckers (errr...I mean truckers) but he was wise enough to study how to drive a dump truck and operate a front end loader. He can lay asphalt and frame rooms and weld. He doesn't want to do these things but it turns out that that kind of work is more in demand than obscure religious history. Go figure.