Saturday, November 7, 2009

What is essential for this Quaker Pagan

Robin M. over at What Canst Thou Say has asked an interesting question about the essentials of Quakerism. I responded to her blog and then found that what I wrote was really much more important to me than I realized. It kind of crept up on me how important this response was to me and how I had accidentally stumbled into what may very well be a central truth in my spiritual life. So I've copied it from there and reposted it here. The words aren't nearly good enough and I don't expect it is a very good answer to what is essential for Friends. But here it is for what it's worth.



1. Attendance to the Inner Light.

(to the divine, the sublime, the tender, the beautiful, the wise, the true that resides in each of us and which binds all of the universe together).

2. Attendance to our brothers and sisters

(regardless of color, caste, class, sex, ability, religion, creed, age, or even species.)

It is my Quaker Pagan variation of the following:


"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind." This is the greatest and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Mt 22:37-40

2 comments:

Lone Star Ma said...

Amen.

patrickruth57 said...

Hystery, if I can be contrary, I think you answered well. To me these things are the essentials that rise above doctrine and call to practice. As someone who also is passionate about history and theology, I have found that your recent postings have really been speaking to me and challenging perceptions and I hope this comment is encouragement to continue- and a goad for me to encourage by commenting more often. Thanks and later Patrick Ruth