Friday, September 30, 2011

Gratitude this Fall Equinox

I recently responded to a post by a friend and sister Quaker Pagan blogger in which she expresses thanksgiving for the Fall Equinox.  I thought I'd share her post here along with my own response.  This is a good time of year.

http://aquakerwitch.blogspot.com/


I live in an agricultural region. Beginning in August, I notice the farm stands and their abundant produce. We see tomatoes, cucumbers, summer squash, corn and cabbage in our gardens, in the fields, and in the markets. In September, we add pumpkins, winter squash, grapes, and apples to the list. The nights grow more chilled, the air is not so heavy, and there are leaves dancing on the breeze even before the full autumn colors overtake us.

In the summer months and into August, I notice the green smell of corn ripening. In September, the air is perfumed with the scent of grapes and apples. The light has a more golden quality to it too. Sometimes, even in the darkening sky, the leaves turn their silver underbellies to the sun so that the world becomes like a medieval illumination.

I am thankful for this light. I'm thankful for the gathering of crows that fill the fields after harvest. They remind me that we are not alone in the universe. I am thankful for my own family, for our gathering together each night, and for the children's play. I'm thankful for white sails on blue lakes, for bushels of honeycrisp apples, cheerful mums, milkweed, wooly bear caterpillars, pumpkins, grape pies, casseroles, and cardigan sweaters.


Photograph Credit: 
Amandolare, Sarah. "Summer Getaway: Ithaca and the Finger Lakes." FindingDulcinea. 29 May 2010. Web. 30 Sept. 2011. .

1 comment:

Daniel Wilcox said...

Hi Hystery,

Thanks for reminding me of childhood in the fall, the festival of Monet-splashed leaves my sister and I piled high in the deep ditch and jumped down into,our large garden behind the parsonage with pumpkins, melons, and withered corn rows...

full of fall...

and lightning bugs, only I know they're sneaking in here from summer;-)

Daniel