Monday, September 9, 2013

The Beacon Stone

b>BlackberryJuniper and Sherbet is a blog that I love to read. It is one of those blogs that makes me feel a little as if I have come home and am talking to a dear friend and a little like I'm peeking into the life of someone I admire but will never meet. Sometimes I think of her words days and weeks and months after I've read them because they speak to me so strongly. She doesn't know it, but I carry her words around in my head like my beacon stone. I was asked to contribute a guest post to Blackberry Juniper and Sherbet. I was honored, but nervous that I'd embarass myself. Perhaps I have. In any case, it is there for those who wish to read it. With my thanks I offer The Beacon Stone When you are there, continue reading to see why I love to spend time "over there" with an old friend I've never met.

9 comments:

rivermenno said...

Hystery, Thanks for another one of your sun-dappling-shadows reflections:-)

The part that moved me the most was this:
"When I say “God”, I’m not quite sure what I mean except that it has something to do with gentleness and mercy. It has to do with compassion. It has a good deal to do with love. But not just love. Love is too small a word for what I mean. Be that as it may. I am called to serve rather than to define Divinity. And the Great Commandment tells us that we cannot serve God without serving each other. We are called to Love. We are called to be midwives of each other’s souls. Each of us, in our own way, is an instrument of our brothers’ and sisters’ songs."

You encouraged this wayfarer. Thanks.
(I wasn't sure where to post my comment here or at The Beacon Stone so I did both.)

Daniel

Hystery said...

Thank you so much for your encouragement, Daniel. Your kindness means a great deal to me.

Lone Star Ma said...

Thank you for this.

Amanda said...

This beautiful post was something I really needed to read, as I take some steps back towards that "God". You words have often meant a lot to me, so thank you for them.

Hystery said...

Amanda, thank you for your comment. I'm always in a funny push-pull with my spirituality. The part of my brain that I control is an atheist. The part I can't control is not. It is a funny place to be.

Amanda said...

Oh, that is exactly where I find myself again and again. I can't tell you how much comfort I've found in your blog in the last week, "meeting" someone who is in so many ways such a kindred spirit, who carries all these painful ambiguities with such grace, even while acknowledging how messy it can be. I was peppering old posts with comments before I stopped myself from being an obsessive creeper, so if you've responded to other comments I've made, I'm not sure where to find them. But thanks for replying, and thanks for writing. :)

Amanda said...

I also wonder if you have ever read this poem. It's the most significant summing up of my experience of the Numinous that I have ever found, and it stays with me all the time. And I think you might like it.

http://www.juliasroom.com/fwrighttheonly.htm

Amanda said...

Oh and this one and then I promise I'll leave you alone for a while:

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/177027

Hystery said...

Amanda, you are kind to comment. It is a treat for me to think that others may read my words and find some value in them.